Reckless homicide charges in hit-and-run that killed officer

Reckless homicide charges were filed today against a West Side man who allegedly struck and killed a Cook County correctional officer as she was about to begin her overnight shift at Cook County Jail.

Juan Bello, 57, of the 2900 block of West 25th Street, was charged with leaving the scene of a fatal accident and reckless homicide. He was also cited for failure to yield to a pedestrian, going too fast for conditions and driving on a revoked license.

State records show Bello's driver's license was revoked in 2010 after his second DUI arrest.

Nikkii Bostic-Jones, 38, was struck while crossing California Avenue near 29th Street just before 11 p.m. Wednesday. Police say Bello was driving a navy blue van when he hit her and knocked her into the path of a sheriff's squad car.

Late Thursday afternoon, police found a van matching the description and took Bello into custody.

According to Illinois Secretary of State records, Bello's driver's license was revoked in 2010 after he was found guilty of driving under the influence in Iowa. He was stopped by Iowa authorities on Sept. 7, 2009 and his license was revoked in Illinois on Jan. 14, 2010, officials said.

He was eligible on Jan. 14, 2011 to appear at an administrative hearing and make his case about getting his license back, but he never sought one, according to an office spokesman. If his license had been returned, he would have been required to have high-risk auto insurance, officials said.

According to court records, Bello was also convicted of DUI in LaSalle County after being stopped on Sept. 21, 2002. He was found guilty and received court supervision. His license was returned to him on Feb. 6, 2003, according to records.

In addition to the DUI convictions, Bello was issued a speeding ticket for driving between 15 to 25 miles over the speed limit on Aug. 31, 2008. In May of 1999, he ran a traffic light and received a ticket.

James Jones, husband of Nikkii Bostic-Jones, said Friday he'd heard of the charges against Bello but has been busy getting his wife's affairs in order

"To tell you the truth, I don't want to read or think about it at all," Jones said. "I'm glad they caught the man, but the more I think about it – he stole her away from me. He stole 25 years from me."

Jones said the allegation that Bello was driving on a revoked license added to the pain because he should not have been behind the wheel in the first place.

"I'm angry. Of course I'm angry," Jones said.

Bostic-Jones' sister, Tamika Bostic, said she and her family plan to be in court on Saturday for Bello's bond hearing.

Bostic said the family is relieved that somebody was arrested. "I'm happy, I'm satisfied. It's sad that it did happen and, by him being such an older man, he does have to spend time in jail now," Bostic said. "He did take a life from me, so he deserves what he gets."

She said officials need to put a walkway or traffic signal at the scene of the accident to make it safer. "They need to do something with that area. . .Something has to be done, and people need to be careful when they are driving," said Bostic.

Earlier Friday, dozens of officers held a vigil outside the jail.

Scott J. Bratlien, the superintendent of the jail's Division 10 where Bostic-Jones worked, described her as a dedicated officer known for her warm personality.

"A couple of the officers. . . said they started their shift each day with a hug from her, and that's what they're going to miss the most. She was just one of those people," Bratlien said. "She did her job, never complained, helped out and got the job done."

Bostic-Jones worked 13 years with the Cook County sheriff's office, 12 of them as a correctional officer and a year as a social worker.

pnickeas@tribune.com

csadovi@tribune.com

jmeisner@tribune.com

Read More @ Source

Camp Lo - Krystal Karrington

Another dope track from the best rap album of all time "Uptown Saturday Night", 1996/1997. I bought the album. In this song Camp Lo deliver "staccato" rap style in perfection. LYRICS: (Chorus) On and on and some try to do this Yes y'all in to the Camp Lo ah On and on and some try to do this Yes y'all in do the Camp Lo ah (Geechi Suede) I get Krystal Karrington ice rock gritty Carlito influenced tea flashers Acapolco homicide scene, Second to catch it First I feel it when I peel it In the hall with my orchestra orchestratin my plans (Sonny Cheeba) Gifted Caramela Cinderella hold a fella tight, make the octopussy do tha whop to see for the night She call me by my first name Cheeba set to tame divas in my sinasex get the intersect it's the kid, But she make me wanna holla pass a dollar wit glass Sucky sucky for the nookie meditatin on her ass, Doctor-Feelgood but it feel good when I splash Get me high make me eat the hunky pie Seaworld We go navigate the underworld blamming out Metropolis How ya rock to this said the 85 I take my steez Turnin towards Kahlua, knew I shouldn't ran it through And I should play my shadow, any in that ego, We could take it to the Lugers Cheeba make them unfold Took my scammer s'now old, meditate on this one, Check I'm freezin wit the flame I put the blame on tough job Generatin Lo life Geechi Suede c'est la vie Shook it off, now start to say one Bogart Hack a caca convince her and bulletproof heart, Its swift ice burglins on clips don't slip ...

Video Rating: 4 / 5



Criminal Stories Here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homicide victim found at vacant Everett house

Manslaughter charges possible in boy's death